Vanderbilt's Innovation Catalyst Fund: Igniting Innovation for Success
Ignite your innovative potential through the Vanderbilt Innovation Catalyst Fund. The Innovation Catalyst Fund provides translational research for Vanderbilt innovations that require proof of concept to attain commercial relevance, nascent projects that have strong innovation potential, and research projects with civic and social relevance. The program is run by the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and Innovation in consultation with Division of Finance, VUMC Office of Research, and academic leadership in Vanderbilt schools and colleges, with management provided through the Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization.
Through this fund, Vanderbilt is supporting the advancement of basic research programs with commercial potential toward productization through support for a variety of translational and commercially-oriented development efforts. This program is intended to provide:
- Expert Evaluation – peer-reviewed assessment by a committee of Vanderbilt faculty
- Accelerated Decision-Making – prompt feedback and timely decision
- Focused Translational Research – commercial potential and social impact prioritized
- Tranche-Based Funding – project funds distributed based on milestone completion
Use of Funds
The Innovation Catalyst Fund project selection will be ‘outcomes oriented’ and based on clear project endpoints that achieve a commercial goal with translational research. Examples of uses for funds in this program include:
- Prototype development and testing
- Proof of concept validation and data generation
- Conceptualization and design
- Software development
- Process improvement
- New organization capability
- Program improvement
- Campaign or event
Unallowable uses generally include:
- Services provided by innovation players on campus (e.g., Brock Center, CTTC, Wond’ry)
- Book subventions
- Faculty salaries
- Tuition or financial aid support for students
- Research supported by other internal funding programs, including Scaling Success, Seeding Success, and RAMP programs
Innovation Focus Areas
All full-time faculty employed by either Vanderbilt University or VUMC are eligible to apply across all disciplines from Arts & Humanities, Engineering & Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, and Bioscience & Healthcare. Part-time faculty, students, or staff are not eligible.
The Innovation Catalyst Fund Town Hall was held via Zoom on Monday, Sept. 18, 2023. The town hall gave an overview of the fund followed by a Q&A session at the end.
Click here to view the recording: Innovation Catalyst Fund Town Hall - Sept 18 2023
Get Started Today!
- Submit your proposal through our user-friendly portal found on InfoReady (infoready4.com)
- Benefit from expert evaluation, guidance and rapid decision-making
- Transform your ideas into impactful solutions
Begin the journey of transforming your ideas into market-ready solutions that make an impact - ignite your innovation with Vanderbilt's Innovation Catalyst Fund. Questions about this opportunity may be directed to CatalystFunding@Vanderbilt.edu.
Accepting Applications beginning October 1, 2023
Future application cycles will be open during the months of February, June, and October in calendar year 2024.